printing in 2.2.0

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Fri May 11 13:27:22 GMT 2001

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:16:01PM +0200, Matthias Meinecke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some printing problems with 2.2.0.
> Samba was installed on a Solaris 2.8 server and a SuSE Linux 7.1
> server. In both cases I got nearly the same effects: selecting a printer
> is realy slow and cpu usage is high for smbd.
> 250 printers are connected to the solaris 2.8 server. if you open about 4
> or 5 printer in one minute cpu goes up to 100%.

Are you sure that this is a samba issue and not a Solaris issue?  You may
want to turn process accounting on (see acct(1M)) to see if the processor
is being used by smbd, in.lpd, lpsched, etc.  Also, with that number of
queues, if you do not have enough RAM to cache all directory entries and
lots of files in /var/spool/print you may be getting killed by file system
I/O.

Without the interaction of Samba, our old print server, an Ultra 2 with (I
think) 128 MB of RAM carried a constant load of around 3.5 and was quite
unresponsive to interactive users.  Upgrading to 384 MB of RAM reduced the
load and made it much more responsive.  Upgrading to a Netra T1 with 512 MB
of RAM made the load drop to about .25 and you cannot tell that anything is
happening on it.

Mike