[freetds] Re: FreeTDS Samba (fwd)

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu May 10 16:28:37 GMT 2001

Figured I'd forward this over here, in case anyone had any interest/experience
in the matter.

FreeTDS is an open-source implementation of the TDS protocol, used for
communication with SQL servers from Sybase and Microsoft.  It is released
under the LGPL license.  Currently, FreeTDS talks to SQL servers on a separate
TCP port, but I think the 'integrated security' discussed below lets the
client connect over MS RPC.  Perhaps someone here knows better than I.

I imagine he may be referring to Richard's libsmbclient when he talks about
better separation of libraries.  IIUC, libsmbclient is primarily intended for
use as a filesystem layer -- does it offer anything for application developers
who need to write other SMB payloads?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer