smbd 2.2.0; Solaris; performance woes?

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu May 10 14:39:05 GMT 2001

Anyone else got any experience of upgrading from 2.0.7 to 2.2.0 on a large
server (we generally run with 500-700 simultaneous users)?  We have hit
some severe performance problems.

Details:

At the end of April, I upgraded Samba on three of our smaller servers
(40-80 simultaneous users each) from 2.0.7 to 2.2.0 .  All was well.

So yesterday (nearly two weeks later), I put 2.2.0 onto our main server of
typically 600 simultaneous users.  The load seemed a little higher, but on
several occasions during that last day and a half it has gone very high (I
killed it at load average 80 on one occasion).  A comparative "truss"
(trace, strace) etc. of the system calls from a typical process (under low
load) didn't show any startling differences.

On our two CPU Sun E-450, the old load was typically 1.3 to 2.6 ; the new
load was typically always over 2, sometimes over 4, and sometimes much
higher...

For the moment I have had to revert to 2.0.7 (I suppose I should go to
2.0.9 if this is likely to prolong itself).

No other changes; same (simple) "smb.conf" file etc.  Simply invoking
different binaries...

Anyone know of any problems on large installations?  I suspect it is
scaling-related and that 2.2.x is more sensitive than 2.0.x .