Linux 2.4 Scalability, Samba, and Netbench

Andrew M. Theurer atheurer at austin.ibm.com
Thu May 10 13:38:13 GMT 2001

Bruce Allan wrote:

> Andrew Theurer wrote:
> > I do have kernprof ACG and lockmeter for a 4P run.  We saw no
> > significant problems with lockmeter.  csum_partial_copy_generic was the
> > highest % in profile, at 4.34%.  I'll see if we can get some space on
> > http://lse.sourceforge.net to post the test data.
>
> The Netfinity system that you are using has two different supported GigE
> adapters.  I assume you are using one of these types - Netfinity Gigabit
> Ethernet Adapter (19K4401) and the Netfinity Gigabit Ethernet SX Server
> Adapter (06P3701); using the acenic.c and e1000.c drivers, respectively.
> >From what I understand after initial perusal of the two drivers, the former
> has receive checksumming support on the adapter itself while the latter,
> the one you are using, does not support hardware checksumming (at least, it
> is not enabled by the driver).

Bruce,

According to Intel's driver for Pro/1000, it supports checksum on Rx via
module option "XsunRX=1".  I have not tried this yet because we are
waiting on our Gbps switch hardware.
> Are you able to re-run your tests with GigE adapters that support
> checksumming on the hardware instead of doing it in the kernel?  If not, I
> will be running similar tests in a very similar configuration (with the
> 19K4401 adapters) in the near future and can share results if you'd like.

Yes, hopefully we will be running the new setup (64 clients, many Gbps
adapters) in about 2-3 weeks.  At that point I'd like to get some
results for 8-way as well.  It would definitely be a good idea to
compare results.

Andrew Theurer