Overriding domain in security=domain mode?

Martin Buck martin.buck at ascom.ch
Thu May 10 11:41:02 GMT 2001

"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote:
> To compare apples to apples, you should really be testing to see whether
> your nt client in domainA can connect to a MEMBER server in domainB, not one
> of the DC's itself; that way the
> MEMBER server will perform similar rpc operations to the domainB DC as Samba
> does.  It would be interesting to see if in this senario, you had to use the
> domainB\username syntax as well...

Good point, if I try to connect to a member server instead of the DC, I
have to use domainB\username as the username. So Samba and NT behave
identical in that case and Samba does everything right.

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve my original problem. Teaching all my
users to use the domain\username syntax is close to impossible, so I
will probably hack my samba server nevertheless to automatically replace
the domain.

However, it looks like there is not that much interest in that feature
(I only had one positive reply), so I'll probably stick with my hack
instead of implementing the clean solution that can be enabled/disabled
in smb.conf. If anybody thinks this is a useful feature that should be
part of the standard Samba, complain now and I might change my mind.

Martin
--
Martin Buck
Ascom Systec AG, Applicable Research & Technology