slowness with WTS (Citrix) clients

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Wed May 9 19:37:30 GMT 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 01:41:32PM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > I recently upgraded from 2.0.7 to 2.2.0, and have run into enough problems
> > with 2.2.0 that I had to go back.
>
> What OS (type, version, patchlevel) is Samba running on?  Can you provide
> more information on the smb.conf file?

The Samba server is running on an unpatched (Doh!  That will change!)
SPARC Solaris 8 box.

Interesting lines from smb.conf are:

[global]
	security = share
	encrypt passwords = no
	workgroup = [the resource domain that all clients and local file
		    servers reside in]
	status = yes
	preferred master = false
	wins support = no
	wins server = [ the wins server for our master domain ]
	getwd cache = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[homes]
        comment  = UNIX home directories for 95/NT users
	browseable = no
	guest ok = no
	writable = yes
	create mode = 0755
	path     = /homes/%u

The path /homes/%u is automounted.  Really, it is more along the lines of

   /homes -> /somedir/homes0/homes
   /homes/homes0/homes/bigbird -> /homes/homesX/bigbird

So, two automounts may be involved in getting a directory.  I really think
that has nothing to do with it though.  Just in case someone wants to
comment on "path = /homes/%u", I think that I will be getting rid of it as
it really doesn't do anything useful for us.

There are other shares as well.  None are terribly interesting though.

At one point I thought that it may be running out of file descriptors...
When I do pfiles on a current 2.2.0 connection, I see:

    # /usr/proc/bin/pfiles 5701
    5701:   /opt/samba-2.2/sbin/smbd -D -p 2222
      Current rlimit: 10010 file descriptors

That's just under 10x the number I thought that the system could handle.
FWIW, 2.0.7 as an rlimit of 1024.

Mike