smbd 2.2.0; Solaris; memory leak?

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed May 9 09:52:51 GMT 2001

Systems:  Solaris 2.x;  Samba 2.0.7 then 2.2.0; 400-800 simultaneous users

The "smbd" in 2.0.7 had seemed always to suffer from a slight memory leak
(on Solaris, at least).  Over a period of a week, the "size" shown by
"top" would grow gradually from about 4MB to somewhere over 6MB.  (We run
as a standalone daemon, not out of "inetd.conf", with several hundred
simultaneous users on this main fileserver).

I had understood (perhaps erroneously) that future releases had fixed this
bug.  Hmmm....

Earlier this morning I installed 2.2.0 on this main server, and already in
those few hours the smbd processes have grown from a shade under 4MB to
almost 5MB. Thus, far from being fixed, the memory leakage in 2.2.0 seems
worse than in 2.0.7 .

Are there any known memory-leak problems (and fixes??) in 2.2.0 ?

If the investigation is going to bounce back in our direction, let me know
how to begin!  Hand-holding greatly welcome...