SAMBA_2_2 printer driver problem

John Wilson john_wilson100 at excite.com
Tue May 8 22:42:20 GMT 2001

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your help -- it worked perfectly!   It wasn't clear to me that I
had to browse to the actual printer share to add drivers (I used the Add
Printer "wizard" instead).

Please accept my apologies if this is the wrong list for this type of
question -- is there something like samba-questions?

John

P.S.  I still don't understand why Windows shows two printer shares, one
under the Printers share, and the other one directly on the server -- and
why the latter is displayed incorrectly (the server name written twice) --
anyone want to resolve this?

On Tue, 8 May 2001 11:56:24 -0400, miker at incanta.net wrote:

> [...]

>  > Printer" and then the first weird thing that happened was that for some
>  > reason Windoze listed my printer twice, once under the server name, and
>  > then again as one line with the printer name appended to the server:
>  >
>  > -+SERVERNAME
>  > -SERVERNAME\\SERVERNAME\printername
>  >
>  > When I clicked on "+SERVERNAME", it expanded and *also* showed
>  > "printername" (see below) -- so I had both entries listed, and the
second
>  > one even correctly recognised my printer:
>  >
>  > -SERVERNAME
>  >
>  >  --printername			      PS printer
>  >
>  > -SERVERNAME\\SERVERNAME\printername   HP LaserJet 4050 Series PS   PS
>  > printer
>  >
>  >
>  > When I clicked "Next", Win2K complained that the printer driver
installed
>  > on the server is incorrect and offered to install a local printer.   I
>  > cancelled and deleted all the files from W32X86 and WIN40 directories
on
>  > the server just to see what happens then, and when I repeated the same,
>  > think this time Win2K said that there were no printer drivers installed
on
>  > the server at all and offered to install locally again.    When I
clicked
>  > "OK" to install a local printer, everything worked (so it's not the end
of
>  > the world :) but I would still like to work out a solution that would
allow
>  > me to install drivers from the server.
>  >
>  > I thought it was a Win2k issue and tried the same on WinNT 4, alas with
the
>  > same results.    (If it matters, I used Win2K Advanced Server and WinNT
4
>  > Enterprise Edition to add printers - don't have any NT workstations
here.)
>  >
>  > And before you ask, yes, I made myself a printer admin (printer admin =
>  > john in the [global] section), and changed the permissions on the
>  > directories to make them writable by john, but that didn't change
anything.
>  >
>  > I even thought that the drivers I used *were* incorrect, but then how
come
>  > the same drivers on NT were used to install printers on Win2K clients
with
>  > no problems whatsoever?    Could it be that NT is looking for some
files
>  > and samba is saying they don't exist because UFS is case-sensitive and
NTFS