Failure Analysis of Samba (4/23) with NT

Marc Jacobsen Marc_Jacobsen at hp.com
Thu May 3 15:25:39 GMT 2001

Jeremy,

appologies if things have changed for 2.2.0, but with 2.0.8 you had

create mask (a.k.a. create mode)
force create mode
directory mask (a.k.a directory mode)
force directory mode

which all dealt with files/directories being created, and as I understood it had
nothing whatsoever to do with changing file permissions through the NT ACL
interface.

For that you had

security mask
force security mode
directory security mask
force directory security mode

which only dealt with changing file permissions through the NT ACL interface.

If all these parameters are being enforced properly the create stuff shouldn't
affect setting ACLs, right?  If you want to "acl ignore mask" you just set the
second 4 parameters to 0 or 777 or whatever.  Adding another parameter seems
totally redundant.

Am I missing something?

Marc Jacobsen