Failure Analysis of Samba (4/23) with NT

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Thu May 3 07:35:21 GMT 2001

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 09:28:35AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 05:08:27PM -0400, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > Do you have any ideas on the best default to set for 2.2.1 ?
> > I'm CC:ing this to samba-technical to get more feedback.
>
> Maybe it would be best to ignore 'create mask' completely after the file has
> been created. After that the user explicitly says what he wants. And it's
> completely unix semantics to give the user the ability to change his acls. I
> always understood 'create mask' as a hack around not having the concept of
> umask in SMB.

Yes, that's what Andrew also suggested. I'm tempted to
add a per-share parameter "acl ignore mask" that defaults
to "true" to allow admins who *really* want their masks
obeyed (even on ACL filesystems) to enforce them.

It's a 6 line fix in smbd/posix_acls.c to do this (and I
promise to write the docs :-).

Jeremy.