More Printing Problems 2.2.0

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed May 2 13:33:44 GMT 2001

moved to samba-technical

On Tue, 01 May 2001 21:37:20 Mark Peters wrote:

> 1)  'printer admin' must be a global setting, otherwise
> the APW will not appear.

Probably so.  smbd decides whether or not to show
the APW by checking if the client can execute OpenPrinterEx()
on the server (not a specific printer) with admin rights.
So yes, your observation is proibably correct.  I'll document
it.

> 2)  I cannot find scripts to use with 'addprinter
> command' or 'deleteprinter command' anywhere.

Yeah.  I'm trying to find some examples we can
include in the distribution.

> 3)  The nt's seem to be behaving erratically.  When I open the
> printers folders, sometimes the printer folder hangs (task
> manager reports that printer folder is not responding),
> othertimes the printer folder is empty, etc.  A couple of
> times, after installing a driver, when I tried to view the
> specific printer properties, I received an error regarding
> an incorrect slot index??? :(

Any specifics, log files, etc... you could provide for this
last error would be helpful.  However you are the first
person to report this that I know of.

> 4)  Documentation is sparse.  I reviewed the most
> recent samba-HOWTO-collection but it does not provide
> any concrete examples vis-a-vis smb.conf and dir/file
> permissions (I realize that there are many ways to configure
> a system, but a complete sample configuration would be
> helpful as a starting point).

Fair comment.  I'll look into it when I can.

CHeers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org