Locking Database error.

Trevor Benson Tbenson at associatedbp.com
Tue May 1 00:37:17 GMT 2001

   I just built a new Redhat 7.1 server. I installed the RPM package from
ftp.samba.org <ftp://ftp.samba.org>  and after I run the smbd and nmbd I
still end up with this error below. I have checked this list, and gone
through the Project Doc's and the FAQ's, I originally posed on the samba
group, and had no response there.  I am not part of the technical mailing
list, so if anyone has a suggestion please make sure to reply.  If you would
suggest I join this list as well, please mention it, I will do it right
away.

   Nothing seems to reference the locking database not initializing.  Has
anyone else had this issue?  On a fresh system with the RPM I wouldn't
expect to have this much trouble, that's why I left the old 6.x server as is
and tried to move forward with a test box to see if I couldn't resolve this.
Any help or idea's would be appreciated. The log.smbd and nmbd have NOTHING
in them at this point. Im not really sure what to do.

Samba version 2.2.0
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting

Thanks,
Trevor Benson
Director of Information Technology
Associated Business Products