Samba and PAM

Martin Sheppard martin.sheppard at hsn.csiro.au
Fri Mar 30 06:47:31 GMT 2001

At 03:23 PM 30/03/2001 +0930, Matthew Geddes wrote:
>Eric Reischer wrote:
> >
> > I've been trying to get samba to authenticate against PAM for a couple days
> > now, but unfortunately have not been successful.  I am using the 2.2alpha3
> > version (freshly compiled) on a Debian Linux 2.2 machine.  I specified
> > --with-pam at configure time, but when I try to connect to a shared
> > service, I get invalid password.  It checks (in order):
>
>I believe Samba only uses PAM for the Unix account side of things (ie,
>not authentication, but permissions and RID mapping). Unless you have
>configured Samba and all of your Windows machines to not encrypt
>passwords. All of this is explained in detail in a text file in the
>Samba documentation, I believe.

PAM has nothing to do with permissions or RID mapping. Samba will use PAM
for authentication when possible, which is only if you have configured it
not to use encrypted passwords. If you have encrypted passwords turned on
then Samba doesn't have access to the plaintext of the password and so it
can't pass the password on to the PAM module.

Martin.