Can Any one give me some design documents of samba.

Karthikeyan karthik_m at techmas.hcltech.com
Fri Mar 30 06:35:02 GMT 2001

Hi
      Thanx for ur update on
"   Why bother? Samba 2.2.0 will have this support, all you need is to ensure
that your Linux install has ACLs."  without knowing  this we had spent nearly a
month on analyzing on this.
as we have started we don't want to stop it so we plan to proceed further.
 the Resource we are working with is
        Linux 2..2.14 and samba 2.0.7. we thought this project could give us
more insight on samba as well as in linux kernel.
we planned to store the NT ACL as a data block and point to these data blocks
from the i_file_acl  field of inode of the file . we  also share these acl list
with files that have the same acl's.Files will be having  both NT-meta data
and unix meta data.so that its accessible by both the guys.
Now the problem we face from samba :
  1,      we identified the key area of modifications in samba
i,e ) places where the permission mapping are done .- we plan to change these
part of the code to take the permission from the NT-ACL which we have stored
.(In which functions these mappings are done )
 2,    We plan to implement ioctl calls so that the request from samba are
handled specially.

In-order for these if we have some documents that talks of the design of samba
it will be helpful to us .
your suggestions and help is need in this.
expecting your reply
with regards
karthik