Samba and PAM

Eric Reischer emr at engr.de.psu.edu
Fri Mar 30 04:41:09 GMT 2001

I've been trying to get samba to authenticate against PAM for a couple days
now, but unfortunately have not been successful.  I am using the 2.2alpha3
version (freshly compiled) on a Debian Linux 2.2 machine.  I specified
--with-pam at configure time, but when I try to connect to a shared
service, I get invalid password.  It checks (in order):

getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user emr, uid 1001
Checking SMB password for user emr (challenge received)
smb_password_ok: Checking NT MD4 password (NT MD4 password check failed)
Checking LM MD4 password (LM MD4 password check failed)
pass_check_smb failed - invalid password for user [emr]
NT Password did not match for user 'emr'!
Defaulting to Lanman password for emr
getsmbfilepwent: returning passwd entry for user emr, uid 1001
Checking SMB password for user emr (challenge received)
smb_password_ok: Checking NT MD4 password (NT MD4 password check failed)
Checking LM MD4 password (LM MD4 password check failed)
pass_check_smb failed - invalid password for user [emr]
Rejecting user 'emr': authentication failed

Maybe I'm missing it, but it never checks the PAM module I have defined in
/etc/pam.d/samba (which happens to be pam_krb4.so right now).  I know
there's a lot of talk getting PAM to authenticate through Samba, but I
haven't really seen much on Samba authenticating via PAM.  Is it possible?