Browse List Mangling

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Mar 29 06:51:54 GMT 2001

At 04:13 PM 3/29/01 +1000, Tim Potter wrote:
>Richard Sharpe writes:
>
>> This was my first thought on the subject, but I fear that this will be far
>> too slow if each name has to be submitted to a script or program when Samba
>> is processing a NetServerEnum request ... Remember, Martin said he has
>> potentially 5000 names in the list.
>
>Surely you only need to run the filter at name registration time?  I
>guess you might want to serve a name to particular clients or
>something like that.

OK, that will be more efficient, if less flexible than my suggestion.

Hmmm, however, it will be nmbd running the script.

In anycase, why is the locking issue any worse with Martin's suggestion
than currently? nmbd has to write the file when a new name is registered,
so smbd has to co-ordinate its access or get a (slightly) incorrect list.

>Tim.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com