Ownership of Samba code [Was: Re: VxFS quotas]

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Tue Mar 27 18:12:57 GMT 2001

Ludolf Holzheid wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2001, at 9:27, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > This is why we not have the NT Point and
> > print code worked on by HP (from JF's original codebase)
> > and many other parts of Samba (from SGI, Veritas, HP, Linuxcare,
> > VA Linux etc).
>
> I'm not sure if I understand this:
>
> Does it mean JF's code used by HP (and the other parts of Samba you
> mention) has been released under BSD licence?

No, what I was trying to explain was that the changes and
fixes that were made to JF's original NT point and print
code by HP and Linuxcare and VA are available to everyone
*because* Samba (and hence JF's code) was under the GPL.

Had Samba been BSD licensed HP could have taken this code
and fixed bugs in it for their print appliance and been
under no obligation to return this code to Samba.

NOTE: I'm not suggesting HP *ever* had this in mind, the
HP print appliance people have been a delight to work with (*)
on this project and always understood how to work with GPL
code.

Jeremy.

(*) Other than being all the way out in in bloody Roseville, CA :-) :-).