International charset in path/file names

Kenichi Okuyama okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Mar 27 09:05:03 GMT 2001

>> client code page = 932
>>
>> is always required. Also one of :
>>
>> coding system = HEX
>> coding system = EUC
>> coding system = SJIS
>> coding system = CAP
>>
>> are required too, for we have many way to describe same character.
>>
>> And even though you did this, it only means we now supports
>> 'Japanese & English'.
STM> As far as I know, CAP and HEX works regardless of "client code page".
STM> So you may be happy to set "coding system = HEX or CAP" in your smb.conf.

Ah... But. If you did this, then it means character code will be
shared between 'client code pages'.

I mean, if you had 2 byte character code of 0x8765 which points one
character(with code 0x8765) on Japanese and totally different
character(with code 0x8765) on Chinese, and if you shared same samba
server between, you'll find filename of confusion.

#Since I don't know about Chinese character, I can't give you
#good example, though.

As you know, we can switch client code page according to which
client was that connection being held, using 'include' operation.

So, if you use this functionality, then we will still have problem.

On other hand, if we made client code page to fixed value,
we are in Bi-Lingual world, not Multi-Lingual.
----
Kenichi Okuyama at Tokyo Resarch Lab. IBM-Japan, Co.