Recursion Desired.

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed Mar 21 23:47:52 GMT 2001

	Oh, yeah, nmblookup I mean. Not smbclient.

>  turns on RD if you are doing a broadcast query.  I had to write
> my own code to turn it off.

	Yes, I see. This is just backwards. For broadcast it should by default be off
	and for unicast it should be on. Or like I mentioned before it could just
	always be on. That should really be fixed actually because obviously someone
	doing:

	$ nmblookup -U 1.2.3.4

	where 1.2.3.4 is the WINS server is going to get confused when they get
	nada because RD is off. I'm sure I was. Actually it would be nice if the WINS
	address was snarfed out of smb.conf too.

	Mike

> For Unicast queries, nmblookup assumes that you are querying an endstation
> rather than an NBNS.  You have to turn on RD in order to query the NBNS.

	backwards is all I have to say :~)