mapping of dos-attributes, profiles, W2K

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Mar 20 19:17:50 GMT 2001

Hello,

I've written a mail in the nt-dom mailing-list about problems
with shortcuts in roaming profiles with Windows 2K,
and Samba 2.2 cvs checkout 15.3. (the checkout from today
does not work with roaming profiles - I could not track down
this so far), so far no-one could give hints to solve this
problem:

It seems that there is an error with the mapping of
dos-modes to unix permissions in the profiles:
a shortcut to a machine or a share in the W2K
network neighourhood is a directory in the W2K
file system. W2K 'knows' if the directory acts as
a shortcut information (that is: parse the file
'target.lnk' in the shortcut directory and jump to
this target) or is just as a normal directory by using
the dos read-only attribute. read-only 'set' means:
act like a shortcut, read-only 'unset' meas: act as a
normal directory. If a profile is uploaded to the
samba server the shortcut have rwx permissions
for the owner. It should be r-x (read-only in dos).
(directory mode is 711 for map hidden/map system).
If I change the directory mode from rwx to r-x on
the server the shortcuts works after downloading
the profile but if it is written back to the server the
mode is rwx again.

Do I use the right smb.conf setting? Or is this
an error in the source code?

My smb.conf:

[global]
debug level = 2
workgroup = SIWAWI
security = user
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
status=yes
os level = 65

; Browser is a samba 2.0.7 box
; domain master = yes
; preferred master = yes
; local master = yes
wins server = 131.246.xxx.xxx

time server = yes

logon script = scripts\default.bat
logon drive = R:
logon home = \\%N\%U
logon path = \\%N\profile\%U

domain admin group = @smbadm
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c RechnerAccount -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$

guest account = nobody
## dont do in man smb.conf, do in pdc-howto ?? ## share modes = no

interfaces = 131.246.51.24/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY

bind interfaces only=True
name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast

allow hosts = 127.0.0.1 131.246.xxx.xxx 131.246.xxx.xxx 131.246.xxx.xxx

## oplocks = false

[homes]
   comment = %Ss privates Heimatverzeichnis
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   guest ok = no
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700
   oplocks = false
#   veto files = /.*/Desktop/
#   hide dot files = yes
   locking = no

[netlogon]
path = /home/smbdata/netlogon
writable = no
guest ok = no
comment = PDC netlogon share
browseable = yes

[temp]
comment = Temp auf %N (Arch: %a User: %u)
path = /home/smbdata/temp
read only = no
public = yes
force group = smbusers