unicode enabled by default

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon Mar 19 00:55:57 GMT 2001

I've now enabled unicode on the wire in smbd by default. You can
disable it with "unicode = no" in smb.conf.

So far it seems to be working very well. My wife has been testing it
quite a lot and hasn't noticed any problems.  (She is a brave sole as
she is writing up her thesis at the moment)

One thing that this change fixes is the problem of not being able to
use long share names in Samba. It was just the fact that NT clients
assumed that a server not doing unicode can't do long share names. 

I'm starting to think about how we should convert our internal string
handling to properly handle multi-byte languages. There are several
possible approaches to this and I'll do a bit of experimentation to
see which one is most promising given the amount of legacy code we

Meanwhile, please test the head branch and let me know if it has
anything broken in it that isn't broken in the 2.2 branch.

Cheers, Tridge

PS: Simo and I have just fixed the readline support in head as
well. It is now much cleaner.

More information about the samba-technical mailing list