Invalid handle using SAMBA_2_2 from CVS...

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Tue Mar 13 15:25:15 GMT 2001

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:32:04AM -0500, Paul Sanders wrote:
> G'morn to all:
>
> Is it possible that there was a problem with SAMBA_2_2 CVS yesterday?  I built
> two servers from scratch using RHL6.2 and samba 2.2 from cvs [about 9 am EST].
Yes that's possible. I re-wrote the handle database code
for print handles between the last alpha snapshot and CVS
to make them per-pipe specific.

> I set up printcap and smb.conf [actually ripped from a functioning server and
> modified for these boxes...] and all looked well.  Problem occured when
> attempting to print from NT or W2K - I recieved an "Invalid Handle" error and
> nothing queues.  I forgot to mention that test prints from printtool and Webmin
> worked as expected as does injecting a job via smbclient [ echo "blah blah blah"
> | smbclient "//server/queue" -U% -c "put - f" ].

smbclient uses a different method of submitting print jobs,
it doesn't use the new rpc code.

> So...
>
> I dug up a copy of the samba 2.2 alpha 2 shapshot, compiled and installed it.
> I left everything else the same [printcap, smb.conf, users, etc] and started up
> samba.  Test pages worked as did printing from NT/W2K - no invalid handle
> error!
>
> Since I made no other changes to the system I am left with samba being the
> culprit [of course, I leave open the possibility that the system admin has a
> blown buffer...].  Any thoughts?

Ok - if this is completely reproducible can you please
get me a debug level 10, client specific, smbd log file
and send it to me.

I suspected this may be an issue, in which case I need
to move the handle database to be pipe *name* specific
(ie. handles are useable between different instances of
the same pipe name) not specific to a particular instance
of a pipe.

It won't be a big change, I just need to see the log to
show I need to do it :-).

Thanks,

		Jeremy.