Patches for Solaris 8 compile

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Mar 7 18:40:08 GMT 2001

Toomas Soome wrote:

> ah, at last some feedback:)
>
> the alternative way is to let utmp logging as it is and use the same idea
> as dtlogin (CDE login) does in solaris - dtlogin does register sessions on
> line /dev/dtremote, so you can see logins on line dtremote. and:
>
> [144] tsoome at madli:hs/txt> ls -l /dev/dtremote
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           9 24. apr  2000 /dev/dtremote ->
> /dev/null
>
> so, I found this idea to be able to see smb sessions with finger to bee
> good and since it only will require few lines of code to implement, why
> not?

Ok - I spoke to Andrew about this and he has the same
reaction that I did - we *really* don't want Samba creating
stuff in /dev - not even if it's a symlink to /dev/null.

It's one of those "we have no business doing things there"
issues that will cause problems with administrators.

So - you mention another option "fix utmp logging to behave
like for example wu-ftpd".

What does this involve ?

Jeremy.