Tiny Change to allow spaces in valid users list

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Mar 5 15:17:24 GMT 2001

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:03:34 John Trostel wrote:

> > The current way is just so nice, why changing it?
> > Simply allow username be presented between quotes if
> > you need a space in the username.
> >
> > valid users = tim jack "tic tac toe" me you "a name
> > with a \" (quote) in"
> >
> > Space as separator is really clear and intuitive do
> > not chnge it please.
> >

> I agree that a space _is_ intuitive! The parseing would
> just be a bit more complex with the quoted scheme. In
> your example above, wouldn't you have to be looking for
> quotes, escaped quotes, and all the normal seperators
> also?

John,

Just a couple of requirements and observations

  o any change in parsing user_in_list() type functions
    (valid/invalud users, force user, etc...) must not
    break any existing smb.conf's without a very good
    reason :-)

  o it would probably help the discussion if you provided
    the circumstances under which this lack of support
    for spaces in user names in 'valid users' became
    a problem (e.g. using winbindd, etc...)

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org