Tiny Change to allow spaces in valid users list

John Trostel jtrostel at connex.com
Mon Mar 5 14:58:56 GMT 2001

On 05-Mar-2001 David Collier-Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:11:57 John Trostel wrote:
>> > With a tiny change, samba 2.2 can be made to accept
>> > user names with spaces in them in the
>> > valid users =
> [...]
>> > Since smbpasswd already accepts spaces,
>> > is there any compelling reason NOT to allow spaces in user
>> > names here?
>
> Gerald Carter wrote:
>> Suppose a system has an existing share defined as so
>>
>>         [foo]
>>                 path = /tmp
>>                 valid users = tom jerry
>>
>> By inserting your change, will it break this and interpret
>> the account in the valid users line as 'tom jerry'?
>
>       Arguably it will, due to the use of tabs as the
>       seperators.
>
>       I like the idea, but not the implementation.
>
>       1) I'd suggest slashes, and require they be the first
>       and last characters of the string, like
>               valid users = /tom/jerry/tim smith/
>       2) during a cut-over period fom 2.2.0 to 2.3.0, strings
>          without slashes should be interpreted as before, and
>          a warning message issued at log level 0
>       3) after the cut-over period, the slashes should be
>          required, and the erronious line rejected.
>
>       This makes the option unambiguous, "except for a short
>       and bounded period" (the latter quote is from a safety-
>       critical-systems course I took some years back (;-))
>
>       There is already code to parse slash-lists, so using it
>       would be a smallish change too.

Would anyone be using slashes in the valid users list?  Like Engineering/Joe?
Otherwise it seems decent.  The problem comes from the large number of valid
seperators currently supported in this list and the fact that it currently
includes one that people are using inside their choosen NT-like names.

--
John M. Trostel
Linux OS Engineer
jtrostel at connex.com