Tiny Change to allow spaces in valid users list

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Mar 5 14:21:56 GMT 2001

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:11:57 John Trostel wrote:

> With a tiny change, samba 2.2 can be made to accept
> user names with spaces in them in the
>
> valid users =
>
> line of a smb.conf file.
>
> If I change the LIST_SEP in the user_in_list function of
> sources/lib/username.c
> from its default value " \t,;:\n\r" (as #defined in local.h)
> to merely "\t,;:\n\r", samba happily (it seems so far) accepts
> users with spaces.  Since smbpasswd already accepts spaces,
> is there any compelling reason NOT to allow spaces in user
> names here?
>
> P.S.  I'm testing the change out here locally in the meantime.

This seems like an qacceptable change to me.  How do you have
people who use ' ' as a field delimiter instead of ','?
Usernames must be in quotes I guess.

Suppose a system has an existing share defined as so

	[foo]
		path = /tmp
		valid users = tom jerry

By inserting your change, will it break this and interpret
the account in the valid users line as 'tom jerry'?

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org