FW: Speed comp. TNG & 2.2.alpha (fwd)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba-tng.org
Mon Mar 5 13:08:50 GMT 2001

> In the long run though, we want to move to a SAM-like
> implementation, so you only have those groups in your
> lists, that you actualy create. For filesystem purposes you
> map those to actual GIDs (via SURS)
>
> Of course the other way round will get interesting, what
> happens, if we have a file with a GID, that SURS does not
> known about...

that's a system configuration error.

what happens on unix when you ave a file owned by a uid or a gid that
isn't in /etc/passwd or /etc/group?

1) ls -al shows numbers not names

2) only root can change ownership of the file.

well, we can't do an equivalent to 1) in the "unknown" circumstances, with
SURS.  so throw an error: let the app deal with it [access denied].