HOWTO add static entries to WINS?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 3 13:23:01 GMT 2001

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 11:59:44AM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> If I understand this thread correctly, what you want to do is to 'lock' the
> mapping between a set of names and a set of IPs so that only the given IP
> can register and use the given name.

Well to be more specific on the motivation: There are several independent
subnets spread across our university campus, which need access to one (and
only one!) specific central Samba server (the university's central print
server).

One way to deal with it seems to be the "remote announce" parameter. Other
than us not being able to set this up properly (still under investigation),
the preloading of our (local!) WINS server seems to be the cleanest
solution.

Asking the central print server to register against our (local!) WINS is not
an option as every other department would like them to register against their
WINS, too. And we do not want to have a common WINS, as the departments have
nothing in common other than that print server (just imagine physics and
history departments ...).

So, to cut a long story short, reasons for having static WINS entries include:
- Safety locks, as you mention
- having a server appear on multiple WINS servers (like "remote announce" does
  for broadcasts)
- having the decision on the WINS server side than on the announcing client
  side (which might also be considered as a disadvantage)

> This might be done by pre-loading the WINS database with those mappings, as
> you are doing, assuming that all clients are in either P or H mode (both of
> which rely on the NBNS server to resolve names).

Sorry to be ignorant, I am not that familiar with NetBIOS jargon -- what are P
and H modes?

And concerning the patch which includes lmhosts as static WINS entries: I will
check the expiry codes, but what about workgroup mapping? As I wrote I managed
to register that print server on our WINS, and addressing it explicitely seems
to do the job (expiry to be checked), but it does not appear on browse list
probably because I didn't manage to tell the lmhost/WINS about it. My try for
creating a static entry for a server called print_zedat in the
workgroup/domain physik was

160.45.10.18    print_zedat#00
160.45.10.18    print_zedat#03
160.45.10.18    print_zedat#20
160.45.10.18    physik#00

which does not give the expected result :(

Thanks, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de