FW: Speed comp. TNG & 2.2.alpha (fwd)

Elrond elrond at samba-tng.org
Sat Mar 3 12:56:18 GMT 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 11:17:39PM +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > >
> > > [Andrew Bartlett]
> > >
> > > So when a file belongs to one of these excluded groups, and NT asks for
> > > the security descriptor, what do you tell it -- "no group"?
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > I don't know the internals of NT as well as I should, but I didn't think
> > that files under NT needed to be owned by both a group and a user, ie a
> > file can be owned by just a user.

Files on NT have a "owner" and a "group", like on Unix.
Yes, NT has this, it's just not chown in any of the usual
tools.
Long time ago, I've written a showsd.exe for this fun. ;)

> files are owned by SIDs.  SIDs are of any type: the type is totally
> irrelevant, to NT.

Somewhat yes.

In the usual case though, files are owned by a SID of type
"User", and the group is of type "Group" or "Alias"., but
mostly "Group".

> which causes headaches for people on samba systems who try to make a goup
> take ownership of a file.

Until now, I've only seen two non-"User"-SIDs as owner of a
file/object: Administrators ("Alias") and SYSTEM ("Well
known group")

Well, I don't have any headaches with this... the
filesystem doesn't support it, so if a client wants it,
simply tell it to go away. ;)

    Elrond