Locking between NT/Linux

Michael Kunze mkunze at ambora.de
Wed Jun 27 21:15:43 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I'm having troubles to get locking working with Samba 2.2.0. We need to
share a DB-File accessed from NT and Linux clients. Locking is a crucial
point here -- it must be assured that the Linux client (on the Samba
box) can not modify the DB file while in use by an NT client.

I know that this is no problem with solely NT clients -- Samba 2.0.x
provides working locking for NT clients. But the Linux box does'nt know
about Samba locking -- a Linux client can do anything, even delete the
file.

So i tried Samba 2.2.0 with Linux 2.4 to get those fancy kernel oplocks.
But this doesn't change anything -- i still can delete the file from
Linux just using rm.

I even built a little Perl client which explicitely locks the file in
question via 'flock' on the Linux side -- but I'm still able to write to
that file with an Hex editor from my NT box, even if it is write locked
from Perl/Linux.

Where am i wrong here (or is it Samba)?

TIA

Michael