Oplock support for BSD?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jun 26 15:27:23 GMT 2001

> "Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> >
> > Jeremy:  you say that the API might not work with NFSv4.  I assume that
> >          you mean that the API will not benefit NFSv4, but do you
> >          anticipate any conflicts that might cause the API to change or
> >          expand?
>
> My guess is it would have to change to implement the timeout
> requirements. Although I need to spend much more time with
> the NFSv4 spec to be sure.

Would I talk to Urban about this?

My real question is:  If we write to the Linux API will thing break when
NFSv4 is ready?

Point being, if a VirtualFS were written for the BSDs that used the Linux
API, would it have to be changed down the road or is the Linux OpLock API
fairly stable?  John's goal of being able to port Samba to non-Linux
platform without changing the OpLock code is a good one, I think.

Chris -)-----