expert advice needed

Big Woz angrybob at havoc.gtf.org
Tue Jun 26 13:37:39 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 07:32:00AM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Big Woz wrote:
>
> > what I'm trying to do:
> >
> > 	We have a NIDS that does user validation.... At the moment
>
> I'm assuming this is some type of directory service. NIDS???

NIDS == Network Intrusion Detection System.  We're making sure that
everything on the network behaves just as it should, only when it
should.  <chuckle>  It's like a little militaristic AI that lives
on your network, learns what's going on, and works to protect the
good-guys and squelch the badguys.  It's like a soldier that can get
its legs shot off, so it will drag itself to battle with its arms.

> There was (is) a DLL that can be hooked into the change password
> routines on on Windows NT 4.0  (passfilt.dll I think).  This is
> basically a library which is theory is to be used for implementing
> a "cracklib" type solution.  However, IIRC novell had one which
> caught the password (in clear test) during a password change
> and sent it to their netware server.  Source code came
> was available for an example DLL in NT 4 SP2 i think.

A quick google search and this looks like _exactly_ what I was looking
for.  <grin>  Thanks a ton.  It seems like something that I should have
come accross before in my plethora of searches, but C'est la vie I
guess.  I was on the verge of tossing this paticular part of the project
aside as it was sucking up all my time and I can be more useful doing
something productive.

you rule!  <thumbs up>

--adam