Supported Samba on Solaris (finally :-).

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Fri Jun 22 12:45:21 GMT 2001

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 08:08:26AM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> Shanker Balan wrote:
> > "Each configuration is available in a standard or high availability
> > version. For high availability and additional scalability, users can
> > cluster from 2 to 32 nodes."
> >
> > Can anyone explain how this works? Are they still talking about Samba
> > here?
>
> 	Yes: the Veritas cluster software has hooks
> 	sufficient to allow one to have a whole whack
> 	of Sambae running on different machines, and
> 	be able to fail over software from failing
> 	machines to ones that are still up.
> 	In principle it should be relatively easy to
> 	build scriopt to fail over samba virtual servers,
> 	and close to trivial if the cluster has a
> 	big common filesystem...

Exactly.  Note that all nodes do not share one netbios name... they each
have their own.  This means that if you are trying to use this clustering
to load balancing home directories, you need to have 1/N (N is the number
of cluster nodes) of your users map to each netbios name.

FWIW, Sun Cluster 3.0 also supports a global file system, and the hooks for
stopping and starting samba during failover should not be that hard to do.
If you listen to Veritas sales people, Sun cluster is so much harder to
implement than Veritas cluster.  I s'pose Sun may say the same.

Mike