proto.h

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Jun 22 09:37:22 GMT 2001

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> I'm getting sick of the diffs all the time on proto.h. I'm thinking we
> can do this:
>
> 1) auto-build it if it doesn't exist, but don't make it depend on
>    anything
>
> 2) when we ship the sources we do a make proto as part of the
>    bin/release script
>
> 3) cvs delete it
>
> This means that people building from cvs will need a working awk, but
> those building from our released sources won't.
>
> It's a pain that half the time spent waiting on cvs is in proto.h

Particularly as it comes out it different order on different machines...
Whenever I have a patch for samba-patches I spend an age just killing it
from the diff.

> btw, I really don't want it to depend on all source files, as that
> would be just too painful for normal development.
>
> any objections?

Build farm? We might need to add some way of getting this out to the
build farm machines - but that shouldn't bo too hard.

The RedHat RPM build script does this already.

abartlet at pcug.org.au
abartlet at samba.org