Supported Samba on Solaris (finally :-).

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Thu Jun 21 12:10:31 GMT 2001

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 12:06:20PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Yes, it's Samba based (currently 2.0.9). VERITAS is working
> with us to add new stuff like MS-DFS and MMC support to 2.2
> as well.

The early access version that I looked at yesterday at in integrator was
2.0.7, at least according to smbd -V. :(  It supposedly does have ACL
support, though.

> The reason I'm so pleased is that I've been trying to get
> Sun to officially support Samba for some time now (with
> the valliant attempts of Dave Collier-Brown and Don DeVitt
> at Sun) and now, with this joint announcement, they've
> done it !
>
> Thanks to everyone at VERITAS and Sun who made this (finally :-)
> happen ! Now people have a good business and technical
> response to doubts about running Samba on Solaris.

I am quite happy that this is happening.  I am sorry, however, that they
feel the need to bundle it together with VxVM, VxFS, PointInTimeCopy (TM),
and a very weak GUI.

I was very pleased with their claims that they will support all of their
release of Samba, not just the options that are presented by the GUI.  One
thing to watch out for, though, is the possibility that when you have
troubles with ACL's on a UFS or NFS file system, they will say "Sorry,
that's not VxFS."

Although the press release does not state this, the software is available
without buying new hardware.  Also, the next target platform is Linux (Red
Hat, I think).

Mike