oplock_break: client failure in break ? / files locked forever (?)

Syzop syz at dds.nl
Tue Jun 19 12:18:39 GMT 2001

Hi,

we run 2 Linux servers with samba 2.2.0 at a school,
one application server and one dataserver.
Both are running redhat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.12-20.

it looks like I've some problem with oplocks:
[2001/06/12 08:02:53, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(768)
  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
  oplock_break failed for file xxx/xxx/xxxx.xls (dev = 1601, inode =
870565).
[2001/06/12 08:02:53, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(841)
  oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file xxxxx/xxxxxx.xls

and the same stuff at the apps server...
Also, you get (at the client) errors like 'file already in use' etc,
this is a huge problem with the apps server because then you can't start

word/excel/netscape/etc if it happends with one of those apps.
--
[2001/06/13 10:46:43, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(841)
  oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file

With samba 2.0.x I didn't have those problems, only after the upgrade to
2.2.0.
It's also not happening all the time, but only sometimes...
when I (in the evening) upgraded from samba 2.0 to 2.2 everything looked
fine
(I started some apps, looked into some files etc)... but the day after
when
XX users were using it, stuff like this started happening (after some
hours) :(.

When I add the line 'oplocks = no' to smb.conf the problem is gone
(well, that's
maybe not very surprising :P)...
Today I removed the 'oplocks = no' line and added a ''kernel oplocks =
no',
and the problem was starting again (at least the oplock_break msgs in
smb.conf).

I don't know if this is a known problem (or if this is fixed in the CVS
for example),
if not.. tell me how to help (-d 10 log.. smbstatus... whatever).

I'm now switching back to locking = no, because otherwise the users have

too much trouble :P.

Thanks in advance,

    Syzop.

PS: <offtopic>Yes I'm working at the VFS auditting module</offtopic>