srvsvc 0x27 patch

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Jun 18 16:59:44 GMT 2001

Hi Tim, Jeremy;
Just recently I had a battle with getting samba approved to be used
at a large customer site, because some security software they used
to decide whether a site was secure kept barfing on the samba sites.
Turns out it was probably because smbd was coring because of some
sequence the security test was sending.  IMHO, smbd/nmbd should never
abort due to actions that can be taken by a client.  Smbd should COMPLAIN
bitterly to the client, via some smb error return, and maybe then drop
the connection and terminate gracefully.  This is the type of behavior you
see on a Win client/server, when IT receives an improperly formatted smb;
you get an event log error mentioning that it got an improperly formatted
smb, and drops the vc.
My 2 cents worth..
Don