Swat PO files - a suggestion to submit to the Translation Project

Ryo Kawahara rkawa at lbe.co.jp
Mon Jun 18 16:07:28 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Deniz Akkus Kanca" <deniz at arayan.com>
To: <akkus at alum.mit.edu>; "Ryo Kawahara" <rkawa at lbe.co.jp>
Cc: <samba-technical at samba.org>; <sugj-tech at samba.gr.jp>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: Swat PO files - a suggestion to submit to the Translation
Project

> Hi,
>
> I wrote this because I noticed the po file in samba-2.2.0 and was getting
> ready to do the Turkish translation. In the regular 2.2.0 distribution,
> there is a ja.po in source/web/po. Is this file not of any use at the
moment
> for 2.2.0? A lot of translators install/test against the package itself,
so

Not used for 2.2.0. Samba is not gettext()ized yet.

> if the current regular release is not in gettextized format, it may not
make
> a lot of sense to get included in the TP yet. But I do recommend that
Samba
> utilize the TP project -- it is an easy way of reaching a lot of
translation
> efforts.
>
> To get included/supported by the Translation Project, you need to supply
> them with a .pot file and let them know what your requirements for
licensing
> are. There is a FSF disclaimer requirement for GNU packages (specifically
> giving up any claims/rights a translator might claim over a translation),
> but a lot of non-GNU packages do not require any disclaimers from
> translators.  It is up to you to determine what you require.

Before committing .pot file (PO file (message catalog file) Template,
 which has entries with no translation) to the repository, we have to
determine what strings to be translated, but this hasn't been done yet.
So I don't think it is a good idea to create .pot from source/web/po/ja.po.
If gettext()s are embeded into Samba, then we can automatically create
.pot file. Translating the file will not be so hard because there will be
not so many entries.

// Ryo KAWAHARA
//