Problems with Samba 2.2.0 on Solaris 8 with quotas

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 11:17:22 GMT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Shirish Kalele wrote:

> [...] I know you're planning on 2.2.1 soon..

Any idea of a release schedule for this?

This is simply a request for info, not to apply pressure!  It will allow
us to plan a transistion.

We have one or two niggles with 2.2.0.  For instance, I understand that
post-2.2.0 work has improved tdb-recovery after SEGVs (as well as removing
at least one SEGV cause).

We also have some apparent oplock-related problems (a black art to us on
Solaris):  if we're going to have to get our debugging hands mucky (we'd
rather not), then we'd rather be doing so on a path for the future.

So we're not after optimism, but rather realism, in requesting this
estimate.  Even a mildly depressing "at least two months, probably four"
would nevertheless be a reasonable answer for us deciding how to proceed
locally.

[ We are a major production site, so large-scale dabbling with CVS is not
an option for us at all.  On the other hand, applying a targeted patch is
certainly an option (we have already applied the 2.2.0 "NFS quotas" patch
from 27th April), and we have even occasionally put beta versions (and a
prayer!) into production. ]