Swat PO files - a suggestion to submit to the Translation Project

Deniz Akkus Kanca deniz at arayan.com
Mon Jun 18 10:24:22 GMT 2001

Hi,

I wrote this because I noticed the po file in samba-2.2.0 and was getting
ready to do the Turkish translation. In the regular 2.2.0 distribution,
there is a ja.po in source/web/po. Is this file not of any use at the moment
for 2.2.0? A lot of translators install/test against the package itself, so
if the current regular release is not in gettextized format, it may not make
a lot of sense to get included in the TP yet. But I do recommend that Samba
utilize the TP project -- it is an easy way of reaching a lot of translation
efforts.

To get included/supported by the Translation Project, you need to supply
them with a .pot file and let them know what your requirements for licensing
are. There is a FSF disclaimer requirement for GNU packages (specifically
giving up any claims/rights a translator might claim over a translation),
but a lot of non-GNU packages do not require any disclaimers from
translators.  It is up to you to determine what you require.

The TP project is for translating po files, but since Samba also requires
code change for additional charsets, probably new charsets can be
contributed by the relevant language groups, if you correspond with the
national team leaders.

To correspond with the Translation Project (to get included etc), the email
to use is: translation at iro.umontreal.ca
National teams are listed under:
http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/po/registry.cgi?team=index .  If you
just wish a po file to be translated, no extra coordination with national
teams is necessary, we get the notice automatically.

Best regards,
Deniz