Problems with Samba 2.2.0 on Solaris 8 with quotas

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed Jun 13 13:12:11 GMT 2001

Toni Verdu Carbo wrote:
>  Everything seems to work ok, except for the quotas... I have quotas
> set on all home directories. When some user gets near the quota limit, I get
> files with zero size. The problem seems to appear when user has almost used
> all it's available disk space, and try to copy a file of a size of almost the
> remaining quota space. Windows 98 doesn't complain, the file seems to have
> been copied ok, but in fact it turns to be a zero size file... Trying to
> copy a file that clearly surpasses the remaining quota space gives a "full
> disk" message... Any idea? I can post a real example uf needed...

	This has been seen before, and Jeremy fixed the NT
	variant of the problem when one of the user community
	succeeded in reproducing it reliably.

	We'll probably need a log at log level 10 and
	a packet capture of the failing copy.

>         Am I the only one having these problems?? Is samba with quotas
> *really* reliable or is it some "experimental" feature?

	Samba's fine, it's an interaction between the client
	and UFS (or VxFS). NTFS behaves differently.

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com