Dead oplocks

Simon Allenby simona at projtel.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 08:45:21 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I I am running Samba 2.2.0 on RH6.1

Although the file locking is much better than the previous version I was
using (good work everyone!) I am starting to see some problems with files
that are locked, but no user process to go with them.

I don't know whether it's relevant, but one of the users is a DHCP laptop
user, and may just disconnect from the network and leave without closing the
files first. I know this is bad, and have tried telling her not to do it,
but the way Samba handles this appears to be wrong. If the client's smbd
process dies or is killed, surely any locks related to this process should
also be removed? I have seen this problem without laptops, though, and I
suspect it is happening if a PC dies with files open. I have got a deadtime
set, and I am not sure whether it's the client dying or the deadtime that's
closing the smbd client process.

Is there any way of manually removing a single oplock from the lock table,
without throwing all of the users off and fully restarting Samba?

Is there anything I can do to help track down the problem further? Has
anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks,

Simon

Simon Allenby - IT - Project Telecom
email - simona at projtel.co.uk
Direct line 01636 615200

 This communication is confidential and is intended
 only for the person to whom it is addressed.
 If you are not that person you are not permitted to
 make use of the information and you are requested
 to destroy the copy in your possession immediately.