New Feature Idea

Ryan Fox rfox at noguska.com
Tue Jun 5 02:05:28 GMT 2001

Hello all,

I have an idea for a new feature I'd like to see implemented.  I'd like
to get a feel from everyone about the usefulness/feasability of this, as
well as any suggestions.

The idea I have is to set up a server side recycle bin, where samba
could move files/directories instead of deleting them.  I'm thinking of
options in smb.conf to turn this on/off, it's location, a maximum file
size to be moved, and a minimum % of disk space free necessary to enable
this.  These settings should probably be allowed to be set per server
and per share.  The trash directory could be shared with the same
settings as the original share, or not.

I can probably code this on my own, but I'm sure someone else with some
samba code knowledge can do it better, and someone with much c++
experience can do it quicker.   But I'm willing to code it, if I'm not
going to be the only one that gets use out of it.  :)

TIA,
Ryan Fox
rfox at noguska.com