VFS modules / MSDFS tweaking

Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 15:04:10 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley wrote:
>
> > On a related note, if I have a read only share serverd by multiple
> > machines, can I get away with DNS round robin style load balancing, or
> > is there something in the MSDFS bits that make this better ?
>
> the actual syntax is for a link is
> msdfs:server\share[,msdfs:server\share]
> so you should be able to encode replicas that
> way.  I would not use round-robin DNS if it
> were me since CIFS is connection oriented.
> Just feels wrong in my gut...

Indeed, this only gives you redundancy once you have a connection to the
DFS share .. I was more after redundancy at the server level, i.e. if my
DFS server failed.

Under Unix using autofs I can get NIS maps from more than one server and
have the maps contain multiple sources for the read only info. what I'm
after is something similar at the server browsing sort of level, or as
close as I can get.

Thanks

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley             | These are the opinions of nobody   |
| Technical Services Manager | and are not shared by my employers |