How does one debug smbd?

Toomas Soome tsoome at ut.ee
Wed Jul 18 21:44:52 GMT 2001

for me it was enough to establish connection between klient and server
(IPC$ in my case) and with smbd pid (from smbstatus) it was easy to set
breakpoints and continue.... but this may not work for 100%.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, eric steadle wrote:

> This should probably be a FAQ but I can't find the
> piece of magic that I need to make it work.
>

> I'd like run smbd in a debugger (gdb is fine)
> interactively, but when I do so, I get tripped up by
> the following line of code in server.c:
>
>     if (!is_daemon && !is_a_socket(0))
>
> The debug message below this line leads me to believe
> that standard input is not a socket, but not being a
> daemon wizard, that doesn't mean much to me. What is
> this line of code doing, exactly?
>
> More to the point, how do I get smbd not to fork, and
> to run in my debugger so I can trace some things.
>

> ERX

> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

toomas
--
... I want FORTY-TWO TRYNEL FLOATATION SYSTEMS installed within
SIX AND A HALF HOURS!!!