Hesitations

Shdwdrgn shdwdrgn at sourpuss.net
Mon Jul 16 17:41:12 GMT 2001

My smb.conf has security=user.
The hesitations happen when copying a file from smb share to the windows
box.
It does NOT hesitate when copying file from windows to smb share (that's
strange...)
I am using explorer to move the file in both cases.  My test file is a 40Mb
mp3.

It appears that if anything is monitoring eth0, the hesitations do not
occur.  I tried grabbing packets with tcpdump, and the problem stopped (thus
the dump doesn't tell me anything).

Could this have anything to do with my machine speed?  I am running a K6-200
with 80Mb ram.  I would assume most people are running production servers
with at least a PII, which may be why most people aren't seeing this?