Accessing CVS-WEB?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jul 12 18:14:03 GMT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> This may or may not ever affect the SAMBA web sites, or even the
> U.S.A mirrors.  But it never hurts to be considerate.

Supporting buggy clients sometimes hurts.

Contrary to what have been suggested in this thread, cvsweb/apache does
not require a browser that supports gzip. The MSIE-only comparisons are a
bit much, IMHO.

It does require a browser that does not ask for something it cannot
handle, such as asking for gzip encoding and then choke when that is
returned. I suspect that is part of the protocol.

A tcpdump could be done to show what is actually sent and received, and
then compared to what it does for pages it can read. Sort of offtopic, but
perhaps not on some apache list.

Try telnet to port 80 on pserver.samba.org to see that it does return
nice non-gzip'ed data when not asked otherwise:
GET /cgi-bin/cvsweb/ HTTP/1.0
Host: pserver.samba.org

^ end with a blank line

I don't know the exact URL that it fails on for you (you only said
/cgi-bin/cvsweb/) so perhaps this test is flawed. But it looks to me like
the bug lies in the client.

Throw away that old piece of proprietary software ... mozilla 0.9.2 is
useable and, above all, fixable.

/Urban