Accessing CVS-WEB?

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Wed Jul 11 18:42:39 GMT 2001

Maintainers of web sites, particulaly government funded ones in the
USA, may want to pay attention to news reports about an ADA
(American's with Disabilities Act) related lawsuit.

I do not have the details, and so I do not know the full impact, but
the sumary is that it appears that a suit was won against a government
agency because their web site was not accessable to the only browser
that the disabled persons that were party to the suit could use.

I would not be surprised to hear of more lawsuits, as it has been
alleged that filing ADA lawsuits is more profitable than ambulance
chasing, as the chances of winning is very high.

I am not a lawyer, and I do not think I am in an ADA protected class,
so I can not get in on the gravy train though. :-)

While right now, it is just nice practice to have your web site be
functional with "obsolete" browsers, in the U.S.A, there is a good chance
that it will effectively have the force of law.

Please note that I am not expressing an opinion about the ADA law, just
pointing out one of it's unexpected site effects.

This may or may not ever affect the SAMBA web sites, or even the
U.S.A mirrors.  But it never hurts to be considerate.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> Do you know if this is specific to HTTP 1.1 and later or should this work
> with a 1.0 browser?  I have no idea if John's browser is 1.0, I'm just
> curious.

I am running Netscape Navigator V 3.03 mumble - gold.
I have no idea what http versions it is compatable with.