WINS.dat question

Tim Carr cygnusx__1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:07:26 GMT 2001

>See John's message on this, and note that the #20 name is not needed if
>you are being a simple client.  If you wish to share files over the PPTP
>tunnel then you may simply need to turn on the server service, as John
>described.

Yes, the #20 IS needed. Other MS machines won't connect to the client
missing the #20 due to the fact it's missing.

The server service _IS_ on.  If I connect this client locally over the
ethernet with no changes to any services, the #20 appears.  Only over PPTP
tunnels does it not appear, and I believe it has something to do with the
way Samba is interpreting interfaces or whatever... Any ideas?

Tim Carr