WINS.dat question

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jul 10 18:31:38 GMT 2001

> In the WINS.dat file I see lotsa entries of workgroups and computers. I know
> that WORKGROUP#1B is the DMB.. but what i'm curious about is the
> COMPUTERNAME#xx entries, where xx=00/03/20.  I have one computer that isn't
> properly authenticating to the WINS server (because it has a complicated
> connection); it doesn't get a #20, although it DOES get a #03 and #00.

Just a pedanticism...  Clients do not "authenticate" to an NBNS (WINS).
WINS simply accepts any registrations that reach it and are not in
conflict.

> Please can someone explain what #00 #03 and #20 refer to? Thanks!

See: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q163/4/09.asp

If the names begin with the computername, then they are unique names (not
group names) and have the following meanings:

00 - Client service     (aka. the machine name.  Only available if the client
                        services are running.)
03 - Messenger service  (Windows pop-up messages.)
20 - Server service     (File sharing.  The server service makes it possible
                        for you to offer shares.)

Chris -)-----